Saturday, January 28, 2012

Week 3 of Garde Manger....

This week's class was actually stressful! It was the first class I have felt rushed to get everything done on time! It should have been simple. I had to cut up a whole chicken into it's parts legs, wings, breast and weigh them all and do some math to get the cost per usable parts and such. Well, I haven't had Cost Control class yet and so it took a while to get the math part done! lol. 

So I had to make Buffalo Chicken Salad using the wings from all of our cut up chickens and Grilled Eggplant and tomato salad. Easy right? 

For these two salads I had to make from scratch:
Mayonnaise (I should get pretty good at making Mayo from scratch.... this is the 3rd week in a row I have had to make it!)
Roquefort Dressing (a type of Blue Cheese dressing)
Red Wine Vinaigrette
Hot Wing Sauce
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Celeriac Crisps (which didn't turn out)
and
De-bone the chicken wings.....

All totaled there are about 35 different ingredients I had to collect and mix together. I didn't have a lot of counter space since we have to share with 9 other students.... 

I was really stressed out this week and was rushing just to finish. The Celeriac Root Crisps decided not to get crispy so I had to leave them off. I guess I could have just shown the pictures and said what a wonderful class I had this week. But then, that is not real life. Everyone has a bad day once in a while and we learn from these bad days and look forward to the next time when we can do better and accomplish more. If life were too easy we would get bored. :-)
Here is the result of my running around like crazy and rushing to get my two dishes done. Yes, only two!


Buffalo Chicken Salad with a Red Wine Vinaigrette and Roquefort Dressing on the side.



Grilled Eggplant and Tomato Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette and Parmesan Cheese.



Everyone had to make two salads, so there were a lot of salads to critique. On the other side of this table is my workspace. There were 4 of us students along that row! Not a lot of space to work in! But, we deal. The others who got done their salads early were a big help to get my food done!! Couldn't have done it without them! Thanks Evan, Sonya, Ciaira and Katie! So glad class is done for the week!

Anyone need me to make a cake? I'd really love to make a cake..... anyone?

1 comment: