Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cake Wars Cake making Birthday Party

My friend Johanna wanted a cake making party for her daughter's birthday. They searched everywhere for a bakery that would do such a thing. Well, they couldn't find any business that will do cake making parties. So she called me! I thought the idea was great! I gave Jo a list of things to have ready ahead of time and I brought my box of supplies!

(all these pics courtesy of Johanna!! Thanks Jo!)


The Birthday girl and Johanna.

 I had all the kids ice their cakes to get them ready to cover with fondant. I don't know if more icing was eaten or put on the cake. :-)



I made fondant with 2 bags of marshmallows, 8 cups of powdered sugar and about 1/4 cup of shortening (on my hands to work into the fondant) and had enough to cover six 8" x 1" cakes! 

 

I had everyone roll out their fondant (make sure there is ample sugar under the fondant so it doesn't stick to the table cover!) and then helped them cover their cakes.


With their smooth canvass ready to go they were ready to decorate!

 


I showed them how to make flowers out of fondant and and roses out of icing. 

 

They all did such a great job! It was loads of fun and quite messy!

The whole process took about 2 hours with 6 kids. A doable fun party idea if you have the supplies. If you want to do a party like this I would be happy to get a list of things needed together for you. I would even come to your house to make it happen! :-) This was a really awesome night! 

My friend Johanna's bog has more on the party. 
http://stopforflowers.blogspot.com/2012/02/helainas-bakeryhawaiian-birthday.html

3 comments:

  1. That's an awesome idea, Jolene. I bet my girls would love to have a party like this. I can't believe you even made your own fondant from scratch. I think you need to move back to NJ. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. Karen, you don't live that far away. I still go to my parent's house and that is 2 hours away... if I happen to be going to NJ around the time of your girls' birthday party I guess I could just stop in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see lots of birthday parties in your future...and lots of happy, joyful, messy kiddies!!! Your so awesome, love how your using your gifts!!!love u!

    ReplyDelete